Between running an interior design business, growing the media side of House of Bohn, and planning the details for my upcoming wedding, I find that there are not enough hours in a day to make everything happen! The weeks leading up to Christmas have been especially busy; trying to wrap up projects, reaching out to contractors and suppliers before they break for the holidays, all the while thinking ahead and what’s to come for House of Bohn in 2016.
Lately I’ve been motivated to focus a little more on my health and fitness. I’ve set the intention to maintain a positive mind frame for 2016, as well as ensuring that I have more consistent “me time” going forward. I know that one of the best ways to achieve my goals is by working out. I just need to take some time out of my crazy days and schedule time in for workout. With the holidays (and party season) well behind us, and a wedding that’s fast approaching in 9 months, there’s no better time to dive back into working out and making some new fitness goals.
And I’m not doing it alone, I need help!
Meet my friend, personal trainer, fitness expert and the owner of Eat Play Love Fitness, Simone Lovell. Simone’s experience in the fitness industry, and having worked with some of the best fitness organizations in Vancouver, gained her multiple “Top Personal Trainer” awards! Her knowledge and passion for the industry has helped build Eat Play Love Fitness and in my hope of avoiding falling off the wagon this year, Simone and I went through some of her best tips on how to maintain your fitness goals.
1) WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO LAUNCH YOUR OWN BUSINESS, EAT PLAY LOVE FITNESS?
I actually have never shared the truth about why I started Eat Play Love Fitness….
Years ago when I had just started my Human Kinetics Degree I realized that I had put on the talked about “freshman weight” of 35lbs! It was so ironic! I was about to become a personal fitness trainer but I was not at my own optimum physical fitness. So using my own body as a test subject I tried and tested every weight loss method on the planet. This led me to create my own specialized weight loss and fitness program that helped me lose the weight and then help countless Eat Play Love clients after that.
Since university I was able to maintain my weight until I gained 65lbs during pregnancy. After giving birth, and again determined to lose this weight, I came across the obstacle of time as a new mum and found it much tougher to get my workouts in. This led me to tweak and improve our programs to help those who have a hectic lifestyle and need quick efficient workouts to reach their weight loss goals.
2) DO YOU HAVE A PERSONAL FITNESS PHILOSOPHY?
Yes! Blend it in. In order to be fitter, stronger and healthier make changes and adjustments so it becomes a lifestyle rather than something you jump into. If you go from 0 to 5 workouts a week it’s likely too much of a challenge all at once. Injury and discouragement might get in the way.
Also, lift weights – it’s as simple as that! If you want to see results strength training will help you get lean, burn a ton of calories and tone your whole body. Ditch the 1 hour cardio workouts and replace them with full body weight exercises such as squats, pushups, lunges and situps!
Every squat, lunge, pushup and salad makes a difference towards your healthier lifestyle. Stick to the small changes and you’ll be surprised at how over time you’ll want MORE MORE MORE! Our Fall 500 Workout is the perfect example of an efficient full body program.
3) WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 3 TIPS FOR STICKING TO A NEW FITNESS ROUTINE?
– Put your workouts in the calendar. Book off time for your workouts and don’t cancel those workouts for anything!
– Find a friend to train with. You won’t want to let them down!
– Find an event that appeals to you like The StairCllimb Event, Muderella, or a half marathon. This will keep you focused when you work out.
4) WHAT ARE THE 3 MOST COMMON PITFALLS WHEN STARTING A NEW FITNESS ROUTINE?
– An “all or nothing” attitude. Thinking that you have to do a lifestyle makeover and go for an hour run every day in order to be successful when just the opposite is true. Do quick efficient workouts that last about 15-20 minutes per day and you will get results.
– Giving the scale too much credibility. Most immediate number fluctuations are due to water fluctuations. If things increase beyond a 5 pound leap, it’s time to make some adjustments but weighing too frequently can become all consuming and an unnecessary stressor.
– Forgetting to write down goals. The research shows, when we hold our goals captive by putting them on paper, we are more likely to stick with it.
5) DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT AND ARE SLOW TO SEE RESULTS?
Yes! Consistency with workouts are key. Over time your body will see change but you need to stick with it. Starting and stopping a fitness program doesn’t work.
6) WHEN STICKING TO YOUR FITNESS ROUTINES, HOW IMPORTANT IS DIET?
It’s super important. We are generally terrible at estimating intake and expenditures for what we consume. Fitness is meant to rev up your metabolism and be the catalyst for the weight watching measures. Diet can be roughly anywhere from 50-75% of your results. Our U PROGRAM which has helped many of our clients lose an average of 10lbs focuses on diet just as much as its workouts.
7) DO YOU RECOMMEND ANY QUICK AND EASY SNACKS FOR WHEN YOU ARE ON THE GO?
Yes! I love protein smoothies, home made trail mix and Elev8 Me bars. Make sure you get protein in with every snack. Also stay hydrated throughout the day. If you’re not a fan of water – alternate your water glasses with coconut water (King Island is my favourite).
8) WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND PEOPLE SHOULD DO TO KEEP MOTIVATED TO WORK OUT?
– Download some good tunes before your workout. Email me for my latest favourite playlist at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Interval training workouts vs long duration ones. Try our “Killer Butt Workout” here. (http://eatplaylovefitness.com/killer-butt-workout/)
9) HOW IMPORTANT IS ROUTINE WHEN STICKING TO A WORKOUT PLAN?
Consistency is huge. Staying on track in innovative ways is where it’s at. Try not to do the same workout twice. This way you won’t get bored but you’ll ultimately burn calories effectively and avoid workout plateaus. Need help to get you started? Check out our U PROGRAM. Our weight loss immersion system combining intensive structured fitness routines, weekly menu plans and grocery shopping lists.
10) IN YOUR OPINION, WHY DO PEOPLE BURN OUT AND FALL OFF THE WAGON QUICKLY?
Because they feel like life is in the way and they can’t give their fitness routine the amount of time they think it needs. Research shows us though that you don’t need to commit more than around 15 minutes per day to see results. As long as you’re on an efficient workout plan you’re going to ace it!
Try my RIPPED ARMS WORKOUT and you’ll see how quick and efficient is all you need to feel the burn!
11) HOW IMPORTANT IS GOAL SETTING?
Super important! At Eat Play Love Fitness we have thrown out the boring ways of goal setting and replaced them with a PROPER PLAN AND TO DO LIST. If you want to lose 10lbs for example – we need to start by getting to WHY!! Why do you want to lose 10lbs? What will be different once you do? Then from there, we get specific – which areas of the body do you want to focus on? How much time do you have? Which days can you commit to fitness during the week? What needs to change in terms of your diet? At EPL we provide a free goal setting session with any of our programs. Email me here to book your free session.
12) WHAT DO YOU FIND IS THE BEST THING ABOUT YOUR JOB?
There’s no better feeling than helping someone realize their fullest potential. I love teaching fitness and everything about a healthy lifestyle. When my clients are looking their best and feeling their best – I see how they can suddenly accomplish anything in their lives, in their careers, at home, on the soccer field, on the ski hill….THAT IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO!
Personally, I find that sticking to your fitness routine is all about prioritizing going to the gym. Making a fitness goal a top priority helps me to ensure that it’s going to get done. And not only is the satisfaction of seeing results completely satisfying, but I find working out consistently is also therapeutic, and it’s also an awesome way to get some much needed personal time!
I hope you found this post useful, inspiring and motivating. Do you have any tips that you found works best for you? Let me know in the comments below! Please share this post if you liked it and as always, thanks for stopping by!
Waterbottle: RYU Apparel
My Runners: New Balance
My Leggings: Nordstrom
My Jacket: New Balance
Simone’s Runners: Vionic Shoes
Simone’s Leggings: Nordstrom
Simone’s Jacket: New Balance
Hair: Dry Bar
Make Up: Kaitlyn Cassidy
Photography: Isabella Sarmiento